Saturday, November 6, 2010

Spirtual Serendipity

So.  Today something happened that said  basically "ML, you have to start a blog about this stuff."  Therefore, I am starting one.

(Details about me will arise eventually but first I need to get this "on paper".)

Incident #1: Due to the various activities involved in preparations for my upcoming retirement-research trip to Brazil, I failed to go to bed early enough to get up at 4 AM and go to San Francisco to participate in a run/swim event I had planned to do at the South End Rowing Club, to which I have been dedicated for over a year now. What's up with that? Where'd my discipline go? Vague sense of "this isn't right".


Incident #2: In the night, I dreamed I was in an interview at Google along with a couple of my co-workers who were also interviewing.  We were given this test to do that involved finding a silhouette in a scrambled background.  Despite just knowing that I am surely one of the best technical writers on the planet, I could not solve the puzzle. So I stormed out of there, "I didn't want to work for friggin Google anyway, they're a stupid cult." Met another Google employee who said "Oh yeah, that's the Dr. Josephson test, it's totally ridiculous but we humor him." Felt conflicted. Maybe I should go back, I really need to be this tech writer person. Back in the room, everybody's eating a Google free lunch, but there's none for me because I've rebelled. I leave the building and start walking down the street back to my old job.


Incident #3: Get up kind of late, due to aforementioned sense of guilt and also a warm cat. Head out for a run at the San Antonio Baylands, much later than I ever go, 10:30 in the morning. As I'm beginning my run, I hear "Hi MaryLee" and who is it but...an old Zen buddy I haven't seen in months, who's a manager at...Google.

In the course of running along together he tells me all sorts of stuff about his life and how stressful it's gotten in management. I share some things I've been reading and thinking about along the lines of mid-life and what to do when things seem stuck, which for some reason seem to seriously help him! Promise to send him a little "spiritual brain dump" of useful sources.

OK, so, I'm really not into all that "supposed to happen, fate and karma" stuff, but what was up with that?.


Next:The spiritual brain dump.

1 comment:

  1. Synchronicity kid. Pick up the book of the same title by Jean Shinoda Bolen. Nice to have those kind of experiences of spirit. And, getting up at 4a.m. on a Saturday, major Ugg!

    ReplyDelete